Sunday, August 29, 2010

Upgrading Existing TFS 2008 Project to support New features of TFS 2010

Hi as a part of upgrading our Team Foundation server 2008 to 2010, I was upgrading our Team Project to support new Team Testing features available with Visual Studio Ultimate and Visual Studio Team Test Editions.

The following blog link was helpful.

http://blogs.msdn.com/chrispat/archive/2009/10/19/enabling-test-management-on-upgraded-team-projects-beta-2.aspx

but this provided info about Beta 2 of TFS 2010. Although most of the information is still applicable. I had to devise some workarounds to a few steps.

1. I downloaded the v5 Process Template from our new Team Foundation Server.

2. I Imported new Link Types as mentioned in the blog.

3. As soon as i started importing new Work Item Types. I was shown an error like. this

AreaId cannot be renamed to Area Id.

I tried searching on bing and was taken to a Microsoft connect link. But there was not much information available. So had to find out the reason and answer myself.

I modified the TestCase.XML and SharedStep.XML. Changed Area Id to AreaId in Both the XML Files and Integration Id to IterationId in SharedStep.XML.

And the 3rd Step was Successful after this.

4. Then i Imported the New Categories as mentioned in the document in Chirs patterson’s blog post.

5. While Extending the existing types Bug and Scenario/Requirement, Instead of exporting and then importing the modified. I directly imported the file from the process template I downloaded in First Step.

Everything now seems to work perfectly.

Reasons why I am writing this blog

1. The document in that blog specifies how to upgrade the agile process project only.
2. I faced small issue so others might also face same issues and now they will have some solution.
3. I have updated the Microsoft support connect team and told them to check this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment